Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Post at Last!

I just finished reading a fantastic book by Wilkie Collins, whom I have never ever heard about before! I happened to run across his book, "The Woman in White," at the library next to the book I was originally looking for. Needless to say, this book absorbed my attentions. I don't want to say anything about it, except that you need to read it! It is a suspense book and Collins honestly held all my emotions in his hand. First I was intrigued, then I was anxious, then helpless, then again anxious, then excited, and finally I felt triumphant. I haven't had a book move me this much since the novel "1984". A word of warning, the story is 650 pages, but every page is worth it!

Now I feel that it is time to document which stories have shaped my imagination and stand out most (at this moment).

1. I will have to move The Woman in White to the top since it's fresh in my mind
2. The Three Musketeers
3. Pride and Prejudice
4. Jane Eyre
5. The Tale of Two Cities
6. 1984
7. The Lives of Christopher Chant (on a tie with Conrad's Fate)
8. Mrs. Dalloway
9. The Secret Garden
10. Moll Flanders (This is a MUST read!!! Please read it if you haven't!)
11. Caddy Woodlawn
12. Tracks by Louise Erdrich
13. I have to add this book as an after-thought: Dune. I hate the writing style; I think it's choppy and editorial. But the storyline is so amazing... If only he could have been a better editor/writer or at least had a better editor...

A good book, to me, has to have a storyline that is like a spiderweb--delicate, interlacing, and almost invisible. I don't want to know what the next page will bring; I don't want to be writing the story for myself in my mind, nor do I want the book to be filthy. I want there to be good and evil. I want good to win. I detest books that assert evil as good, villains as heroes, torture appropriate, and sex for love. These qualities are currently ruining our generation. But I won't lecture on that today. All I have to say is that there is a distinction between good and evil, no matter how hard our outside influences are trying to persuade us otherwise. Even if we try to ignore the boundaries, they are unbendable and consistent to time itself. And that is because they are based on an Ultimate Truth, which our outside influences are also trying to persuade us is ridiculous, childish, and folly. Ack, I lectured.

Last point, and random at that: Have you petitioned for the government to butt their noses out of health care yet? Do it today. http://www.freeourhealthcarenow.com/

No comments: