Sunday, May 23, 2010

sometimes I feel like a warrior


avoiding hidden land mines, or engaging in power struggles.

Lately I have become hyper-aware of how our life hinges on the decisions we make. In the back of my mind I know decisions guide our direction; however, it was never an active thought. Instead, I made decisions based on what was needed without much foresight. I think this is true for many people. For instance, on the news yesterday two brothers were at a party. They had been drinking, and one had a heart attack. So the other brother drove him to the hospital. Unfortunately, he was driving over the speed limit and swerving. A police man tried to pull him over and a cop chase of seven police cars followed them to the hospital. The driver thought they would understand. Instead he was arrested for DUI, speeding, and avoiding a police officer. He could serve time, but either way his decision to drive his brother to the hospital will cost him his job. He is a trucker driver under a zero tolerance for drinking and driving policy. One decision to drive his brother or call the ambulance changed that man's life. And I doubt he even spent much time thinking about it. Which is scary. It makes me wonder how far away I am from making a decision that lands me in jail.

Let's take it on an even smaller scale. The words we use when we talk to others are as much of our decision process as anything. Perhaps the most damaging is when an Aunt laughs at her chubby nine year old niece saying, "I could fit into your pants!" Again I doubt if she thought about what she was saying. Instead she was probably feeding her ego and vanity at the cost of a little girl.

Words. Who really has control of them? Even more so, who can control what they say in uncomfortable situations when we should be on our best behavior... And they never go away. They are etched in our personal record. Once the rock hits, we pick it up and add it to our load.

Even now I am just spewing warm words across the page.

No comments: