Let’s move on to Joseph. I have to get a little in-depth here to make my point. Joseph is Isaac’s grandson and Abraham’s great grandson. Okay, so Joseph was the firstborn of Jacob’s (Isaac’s son) favorite wife. But he had many brothers, 12 to be exact (they become the 12 tribes of Israel). Joseph was second to the last of the brothers, yet God gave him visions that placed him above his brothers with them bowing down to him. At this his brothers grew furious. They bound him and placed him in a cistern. When an Ishmaelite caravan came by, they sold him into slavery. Consider how confusing this must have been to Joseph. God had promised him honor and power, yet he allowed Joseph to become a slave. I wish I had faith as strong as these men. No where in the bible did it say that Joseph forsake God, or grow angry with him. Instead, it showed how he ministered to people and worshiped the Lord during his captivity.
I am not sure how long Joseph had to wait for God’s promise to be fulfilled, but here is what happened to him to help you understand the span of time. When he arrived in Egypt, he was sold to Pharaoh’s captain of the guard; “the Lord gave him success in everything he did,” and his master put him in charge of his household. However, when the Captain’s wife made advances towards him, Joseph escaped. She made false claims, and Joseph was sent to jail. Again Joseph was successful in what he did there, and the warden made him in charge “of all those in the prison.” While he was in jail he interpreted dreams for two of Pharaoh’s servants, a cupbearer and baker, their fates were just as God had revealed it to Joseph. He asked the cupbearer to not forget him, but he did forget for two years until the Pharaoh had a dream no one could interpret. So you can see that Joseph was waiting a very long time! Not only did he have to gain the favor and trust of the captain of the guard and warden, but then he had to wait two years in prison before Pharaoh had his dream.
Yet everything happened for a purpose and happened at exactly the right time. If Joseph hadn’t been in jail, he would have never met the Pharaoh. If he hadn’t met the Pharaoh and interpreted his dreams (which meant there would be 7 good years of crops and 7 years of famine) hundreds of people would have died. Not to mention, Pharaoh gave Joseph authority over Egypt saying “Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you” thus fulfilling Joseph’s own promise from God. Genesis 41:40
Joseph himself acknowledge God’s perfect timing, “And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you…But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance. So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God.” Genesis 45:5-8 Joseph relied on God even at the worst of times. I can’t even imagine being sold into slavery by my family. Or spending that much time as a slave and later as a prisoner. Joseph never doubted God’s power to deliver, and he never failed to give God the glory He deserved. He continually said, “I cannot do it…but God will…” Genesis 41:16. Genesis 37-50:26
So what have I learned through these men? Well I learned that God’s timing is God’s perfect timing. It doesn’t usually happen instantaneously; although God definitely has the power to do it instantly. Those who follow through with God’s plan are blessed beyond measure. I also learned you must have complete trust in the Lord of Creation who has overcome the world and never lies and is always always faithful. But I think most importantly, we need to continually return the glory to God with thanksgiving and humility. Because without him, we can accomplish nothing Philippians 4:13.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:6-5
“Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.” Proverbs 19:21
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
“You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” Revelation 4:11
Thank you for taking this journey with me, and I encourage you to read the stories of these amazing men for yourself! =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment